Friday, November 13, 2015

Empty Nests



"Yes, that's right! There are no babies in here."


Two empty nest boxes: what a way to begin the 2015-2016 breeding season. The weather finally turned cooler and we have no babies to show for our labor. With great expectation, we bred our new broken buck to our best does from last season. They appeared to be successful breedings, but something must have gone wrong. I know some tell us to breed through the summer heat and keep the rabbits on a regular schedule. But I am a softy and cannot justify breeding when it is 110 degrees outside. So we wait for the frost to appear on the rooftops.

The frost is here and we still have empty nests. Perhaps LoverBoy shot blanks because of the summer heat or perhaps my does accumulated too much fat over the summer layoff. We are breeding with the goal of producing our show stock for the 2016 ARBA national convention in San Diego. Not an auspicious start, but I guess that is the nature of trying to control Mother Nature. So, we will remove the nest boxes and  try again. 

I will try LoverBoy again with Buttercup, but I will put LoverBoy's son, Luke, with Jazzie. I will keep the  lights on for about 17 hours in the breeding barn and hope for a bountiful winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment